Whereas as H. 5399, the “South Carolina Human Life Protection Act,” moves its way through the General Assembly, The Greenville County Republican Party (GCRP) reminds our elected representatives that the South Carolina Republican Party Platform states:
THE RIGHT TO LIFE
- We believe that the right to life is the first inalienable right, without which there can be no other rights. We believe that all human life has intrinsic worth and therefore support vigorous legal protection at all stages of life, from the unborn child to the elderly to the infirmed and disabled.
- We believe the Fourteenth Amendment’s protection applies to unborn children. Unborn children should be classified as legal persons, not as legal property.
- We believe Roe v. Wade* should be reversed through judicial action or through passage of a Constitutional Human Life Amendment.
- We oppose the use of public funds to pay for abortions or to fund organizations which advocate for abortion.
- We believe adoption is a loving and a viable alternative to abortion. We extend compassion to women who have experienced abortion and support pregnancy centers across the state that help women in need.
- We believe any pursuit of medical advances should be pro-life. We therefore oppose research on fetal tissue obtained from induced abortions, human embryonic stem cell research, as well as trafficking in the organs and body parts of aborted babies.
- We believe public or private efforts to “create” a human being via cloning should be opposed, as well as the appropriation of federal or state funds for any such research.
- We believe human trafficking is morally reprehensible and should be condemned. Rigorous efforts should be made to eradicate the practice, and perpetrators and enablers should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. We extend compassion to the victims and survivors of human trafficking, and encourage efforts to help them rebuild their lives and protect them from potential re-victimization.
Whereas changes may occur to the bill as it moves through the process which might weaken or change it so that it does not conform to the principle of protecting all human life; now, therefore, be it
Resolved, that The Greenville County Republican Party reminds our elected representatives that they:
- were elected because they support the South Carolina Republican Party Platform;
- should act in accordance with its Creed, Mission, Fundamental Principles, and Planks; and
- should vigorously fight to assure that any bill titled “The South Carolina Human Life Protection Act” truly protects all human life from conception to birth.
* Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, No. 19-1392, 597 U.S. (2022), is a landmark decision of the U.S. Supreme Court in which the court held that the Constitution of the United States does not confer a right to abortion. The court’s decision overruled both Roe v. Wade (1973) and Planned Parenthood v. Casey (1992), giving individual states the full power to regulate any aspect of abortion not preempted by federal law.
A Resolution to Support Legislation to Protect Human Life– Passed Unanimously on 09/12/2022